A site devoted to discussing techniques that promote quality and ethical practices in software development.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We need bi-weekely repeat of events in Samsung Note's Planner

I have found this missing rather disturbing and annoying.

This question has been posted in 2010 and is so annoyingly missing in my Samsung Galaxy Note running Android version 4.0.3.

Bi-weekly events happen more often than most people (read Android developers) thinks. It is available in iPhone, in Outlook for a loooooong time, my Thunderbird with Lightning plug-in can do it, my Windows Live Mail's calendar can do it. So Microsoft can do it but Google can't do it?

But why Android developers can't implement this feature, which to many is essential. The fact that this support is available in the above mentioned list of appointment & planner clearly indicates that this is not such a difficult programming exercise.

The only conclusion that I can draw is that this is another case of developers wanting to do something different rather than something essential. As a result it makes your software sucks.

Failing to support basic requirement is not cool and not smart at all. Your failure to include this kind of essential features turns a smartphone a dumb phone. Now I have to put all my bi-weekly events on my Thinderbird on my laptop despite the availability of thousands of Android Apps out there! It is a joke.

Talking about Calendar, on another tablet running Android 3.2, I fail to understand why defining an event on the Calendar apps running on that tablet requiring me to open and log into a Google Account? I do not need to do so in my Windows Live Mail, Outlook, or Thunderbird.

To put Calendar event on Google's Calendar should be the decision of the owner of that tablet/device and has nothing to do with Google's imposition. At least in my Android 4.0.3, I do not have to be tethered to a Google Account.

No comments:

Blog Archive